1. All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.
2. All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
3. All wrongdoing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrongdoing remain?
4. An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.
5. Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
6. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
7. Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.
8. Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.
9. Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
10. Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.
11. Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.
12. Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
13. However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?
14. I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.
15. In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.
16. It is a man’s own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
17. It is better to travel well than to arrive.
18. Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.
19. Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind.
20. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
21. On life’s journey faith is nourishment, virtuous deeds are a shelter, wisdom is the light by day and right mindfulness is the protection by night. If a man lives a pure life, nothing can destroy him.
22. Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
23. Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.
24. To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one’s family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one’s own mind.
25. To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one’s own in the midst of abundance.
26. To keep the body in good health is a duty. Otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
27. Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
28. There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.
29. The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.
30. There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.
31. The mind is everything. What you think you become.
32. Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.
33. The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.
34. We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act.
35. We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
36. Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.
37. You will not be punished for your anger; you will be punished by your anger.
38. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.